The history of Brodribb Home highlights how much is achievable when caring, hard working people work together with a common goal. While many things have changed, our aim today is the same as it has always been – to provide retirement living options and quality care to the aged.
In the late 1800’s, in Toowoomba and much of regional Queensland, there was little or no form of Government care facilities available to the aged and poor. The only facility for someone in need of such accommodation was the Dunwich facility on North Stradbroke Island — a less than ideal solution given its hopelessly overcrowded state, and the fact that for most people it meant moving far away from their community and familiar surroundings.
Determined to remedy the situation for those living in their area, The Ladies Benevolent Society of Toowoomba set about establishing an aged care facility. These women understood that charity is not just about giving money – it’s about giving of yourself and serving without judgment. After toiling long and hard to raise funds and secure minimal government favour and support, the society, with the assistance of Mr F.C. Brodribb’s donation of £100 and an allotment of land for the original site, were finally able to establish Brodribb Home in December of 1898. The original, and still standing, front section of the Home cost £740.
Since that time, from the late 1800s to the present day, Brodribb Home has gone through many changes, but it has always been maintained and expanded upon by the same dedication to its cause. Even in the late 1940s, when funds were extremely short and much maintenance was required, a public appeal raised in excess of an amazing £2,500 to achieve the work required.
Throughout the 1900s work continued on rebuilding and adding new wings. In 1996 Brodribb Home Care began – delivering the same quality of care to people in their own homes. To celebrate our centenary, in 1998 Brodribb Home opened its new retirement village, located alongside the existing aged care facility. So far this century we have opened three new wings, including a dementia secure wing, and have greatly expanded our Home Care Services.
Our story began with one remarkable group of women enabled by a generous donation, and continues today thanks to the hard work and commitment of our many staff and volunteers.